American roulette is the most popular roulette variation among all roulette games. It is rather an easy game and everybody is welcometo try his or her luck playing it. In order to do this players should be aware of some basic roulette rules and know how the whole process is conducted.
American roulette wheel
American roulette wheel is designed so it has 38 slots, 36 of which are numbered from 1 to 36 and the rest is for two zero positions: a single zero slot and a double zero slot. This additional double zero pocket is the main feature that distinguishes American roulette from others. Having a closer look you could discover that such a trifle as one additional pocket, it would seem, increases the roulette house edge in American game up to 5.263% adding a significant advantage for casino.
Roulette game performance
The game is usually performed in the following way: players make their bets (inside or outside) and croupier turns the wheel. When he or she spins a little plastic or ivory ball nobody is allowed to stake further or change their bets. The numbers on the wheel are located in such order that there is an equal possibility for each slot to be hit with the ball. The winning number is that where the ball lands on and those gamblers who were lucky to bet on it could take their gain.
The most interesting part of gambling here is connected with players' bets choice. They could make inside bets and outside bets which are commonly supposed to be less risky and less profitable at the same time.
Inside betting means that players make their bets on a single number as well as on a group of numbers. Roulette table has a special indexed area where gamblers could locate their chips on numbers when making stakes. It is vitally important to remember that each table has its own minimum and maximum requirements that all the players should obey.
There are several possible combinations of inside betting that you should know to play American roulette:
- single number bets or straight up bet means that players wager all their chips only at one number. It is rather risky strategy but the payoff is also decent, notably it is 35-1;
- split bets or double (two number) bet supposes staking on any two numbers with an expected payout of 17-1;
- street (stream) bets or three number betimplies that playersmake their bets on 3 particular numbers with the hope that at least one of them hits and they get the payoff of 11-1;
- square bets or four numbers (box of four) bet demands staking on any 4 numbers and could bring the payoff odds of 8-1;
- five number bet is possible only in American roulette game andassumes that players bet on a group of 5 numbers which are 1, 2, 3, 0 and 00 on the roulette table. In a case of success they could gain a payoff of 6-1. These kinds of bets are usuallyconsideredas rather wretchedstrategy.
Outside betting in American roulette is similar to European's style of playing owing to the fact that here we do not consider a double zero pocket. In order to stake outside players could bet on the winning colour (red or black), odd or even slot and high or low numbers. There are also dozen and column bets which allow to wager on numbers that are grouped in 3 sections or in 3 columns on the roulette table accordingly.