Almost each serious self-respecting gambling game has its own heap of superstitions and in this regard, roulette is not an exception.
The game is organized so that every wheel spin has the same structure of probabilities which remains constant for each bet and thus, the roulette odds do not change round after round too. Indeed, a lot of gamblers still try to change these payoffs whatever and are ready to do everything for this purpose.
There is a rich and sometimes incredibly ridiculous system of superstitions in a roulette players' society. Most of them do not have any logical clarification but even experienced and inveterate roulette gamblers hold sacred these rules. They are carefully passed down from one generation of players to others accumulating more and more improbable details.
Of course, this could be explained with the fact that roulette is a game of chance and some rules violations, even at first sight insignificant, could frighten off a fortune which means crash of gambling career.
Majority of roulette superstitions concern colours and numbers as these are the elements which players make bets on.
Let us present some traditional and most interesting roulette superstitions.
- In roulette terminology you could meet a notion of 'sleeping numbers' which represents a group of numbers that have not been hit for a long time. So, the most common superstition states that there is more chances to win if stake on these numbers. Indeed, this could not be explained either logically or mathematically. In fact, the probabilities of hitting one or another number are equal and depend on the quantity of slots on the wheel. In American roulette it is 1/38 and in European roulette 1/37.
- Some players adhere to an opinion that you need to bet on that colour that attracted your attention firstly when you came at the table. According to roulette players' popular beliefs, in this case, you will have more chances to beat the House.
- Other gamblers are convinced that the best strategy is to bet on your lucky numbers constantly. Lucky numbers are defined as those that brought them a win previously.
- And of course, there are some traditional fetishes which players take with themselves when want to hit a jackpot. Among most common lucky things that gamblers carry with them when going to casino are rabbit's foot, four leaf clover, horseshoe, a certain clothing or colour.
- And vice versa, there some things that are strongly recommended to avoid if you are going to tempt providence. There are: black colour in general and black cats especially, smashing mirrors or going under ladders.
- It often happens that gamblers say a prayer a few seconds earlier than a croupier spins a wheel. Experienced players also recommend to carry a rosary and other holy items immediately before the game begins. And some players even elaborate their own sacred rituals or keep the fast before the day of great game.